Monday, July 23, 2007

You think you know art?

I know I don't, but I went to the National Gallery this weekend. While I immensely enjoyed all the pieces they had there, I found myself extremely annoyed by my fellow art viewers. I have to say that taking your kids to an art museum is a lousy idea. Of all the places to go in this city (and I don't believe that you've already seen all of the monuments, the Air & Space Museum, swam at the hotel pool, AND taken in the Natural History Museum), an art museum is probably not where you should take your young kids. The last thing I want to do at an art museum is have to dodge children running around, let alone listen to them all day. If you want to teach them about the art, fine, but don't walk around pretending like they're going to enjoy themselves on their own.

Furthermore, stop taking all those damn pictures! It's not like you're going to remember what you were looking at later, and honestly, none of your friends will know what the hell it is either. Besides, that picture you took standing a foot away from the beautiful Monet in the corner is not going to do it justice. All you're going to get is a nice digital picture of a bunch of random dabs of paint, and it won't really look like anything from a foot away. Idiot.

2 comments:

dara said...

This is precisely why, despite having studied art history in college, I almost always hate to go to museums. The only time I've had fun in recent memory was when a gallery director friend-of-the-family invited me to the opening of an exhibit at the Renwick.

Jason said...

That's the thing though. I don't "go" to art museums. I look at them. I walk through and look at the paintings and think to myself "oh, that's pretty." It's how I did the Louvre in 2 and a half hours!

But that's why the idiot standing in front of the Monet really pisses me off. You can't see it when you have to peer through the 1 ft opening from off to the side. So, I end up missing half the damn paintings. Blah.