Saturday, July 14, 2007

Would it kill you to be more friendly?

I'm really glad that I've been fortunate enough to live in places where the people are decent. I've recently taken up running in the park where I live, and I've always found it pleasant that people there say hello to you when you run by each other. It makes the whole experience more enjoyable.

Today, however, I went running on Lake Michigan in Chicago, and I don't think one person made eye contact, let alone said hello. It made the whole experience less enjoyable if you ask me. I don't know what makes one town one way and this town another. It's like people move somewhere and then take on the mood of that town, further perpetuating an unfriendly (or friendly) atmosphere. But if you move from a place like, let's say, Nashville, to a play like, let's say, Chicago, why can't you bring your Tennessee friendliness with you? Really, it wouldn't kill you to smile and say hello to people every now and then.

3 comments:

Apotheosis said...

You go running!?

Jason said...

Yep! Click on the link for the Couch-to-5k Running Program under Things that I Like. That's gonna be the thing that saved my life one day! 35 pounds and counting!

Apotheosis said...

Awesome. Congrats.